24/11/2012

The Bagging List

I guess every hiker has a bagging list?
I do, and it includes many of the highest peaks of the UK, Ben Nevis, Scafell, Snowdon etc.

So why do I want to do them?

I decided, not long since, that I want to get back into walking. I decided that a walk around the park wasn't good enough any longer. I wanted to get back into walking, which I did with my old man some 20 years ago, at the age of 13/14. I also have some personal mountains to climb.
I'm not entirely sure what these personal mountains are yet, but on the few walks I have done, I have felt a sense of achievement, a sense of being 'on top of the mountain'.
I always feel good after a hike, no matter how hard it was.

My outlook, was to start with Simons Seat, as I remember this being the first hill I climbed with my Dad, and at 1500ft it shouldn't be too hard?
My Brother and I had a failed attempt at the beginning, which he is unfortunately still suffering from!
The second attempt, a success.
The second attempt was a success in a few different ways. A group of 5 of us 'bonded' in the good old fashion of walking together, only 2 of them knew each other, but they were all friends of mine. We made the round trip in one piece. We made it to the top in horrible weather, all things considered.
It was a success, and I was happy.

The next Peak on my list was going to be one of the Yorkshire 3 Peaks, Pen-Y-Ghent, Ingleborough, or Whernside. Only 1 of the group could make it, Rixy, and he was one of the more experienced. We chose Whernside as he had done it before, but I hadn't.

Whernside has been done. Another 'achievement unlocked' for me - walking in the snow.
It wasn't bad snow, but I had a grin like a Cheshire Cat inside my hood.
Rixy was a great walking partner, and we had some very, very random topics of conversation.

So back on to my 'Bagging List'...

We have done Simon's Seat @ 15000ft
We have done Whernside @ 2415ft
I think the next should be either Pen-Y-Ghent @ 2277ft or Ingleborough @ 2372ft
Also on my list, I have;
Scafell @ 3163ft and Scafell Pike @ 3209ft
I have Helvelynn @ 3117ft, via Striding Edge of course.
Skiddaw @ 3054ft
Great Gable @ 2949ft
Pillar @ 2927ft
Blencathra @ 2848
Crinkle Craggs @ 2818ft
Coniston Old Man @ 2635ft
Buckden Pike @ 2303ft
Kinder Scout @ 2807ft
Gragareth @ 2057ft

At some point, I also want to complete Ben Nevis @ 4409ft and Snowdon @ 3560ft.

(All heights shamelessly stolen from THIS wonderful website)

Now, these are on my list for the simple reason that I want to do them. I'm sure there are many more peaks, many more beautiful walks, but this is about me climbing mountains!
When I figure out what the mountains are that I'm climbing, I'll be sure to let you know.

Once these are finished? Well who knows eh!
So far, 3 walks in, and I'm loving it. I already have dates planned for next year, and plan on getting at least 18 peaks in, a night walk, and the Yorkshire 3 Peaks for the Anthony Nolan Trust.

I'll point out at this point, that I am fully aware I'm a novice walker, I have mediocre gear, and little experience (although pretty good knowledge)  of what I am doing.
I don't plan on going un-prepared. As my buddies will tell you, I'm usually over prepared.

I'll leave you with a few pics now. I've blatantly stolen these from Google Images.
While searching for them, it became apparent, that when you climb mountains, you have a clear picture of what is out there.

Striding Edge


Coniston


Snowdon, Crib Goch


From what I know, this is Crib Goch, a route up Snowdon. I did this back in '92 with my old man. I would have been 13 years old. I've never seen it from this angle before because it was COVERED in cloud when we did it. Good job really, it looks scary haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment