09/10/2012

Fresh Air...

...Hell yeah! Well, I eventually got out hiking. We (My Brother Disabled Dave and I) decided to attack 'Simon's Seat' near Bolton Abbey. The day started slow, and got slower. Dave was late, and unprepared, and slightly hungover!!! We got to Bolton Abbey car park, got ready, and then set off walking. We headed over the bridge and along the track, then up the hill, which kept going! We're both unfit, we don't deny that, so it took us an hour and half to get up. I reckon we could do it in the hour if we were fitter. When we got to the top, the views were breath taking!
Now, on the way up, I pointed out that it was lovely and warm. The ever helpful Dave said 'Wait until you stop for a minute. It'll be freezing' I knew this, I wasn't daft. This lead me to putting my fleece on as we sat to eat out butties (mine which I had prepared the night before, Dave' which had been bought from Tesco's on the way there!) At this point, Dave said he was cold... We sat there, he drank my coffee and took the piss out of my first aid kit. We ate, we enjoyed the views, and we enjoyed them some more. Before we headed off, we got a pic at the top together, We packed up and made sure we had left no rubbish behind. If you know Simons Seat, you will know it is a rocky outcrop, so imagine a big Bear Grylls style leap from one to another. Dave said he wasn't so stupid and he didn't want to end up on Helicopter Heros (Pride thing, he's a Fire Fighter) This is where it went downhill (pardon the pun, we were heading for descent, and heading for disaster) Dave walked around the rocks while I hung on for him. As he caught me up I turned and put my best foot forward, then heard rustling and swearing behind me!!! I turn up to see him hopping about in agony, having twisted his ankle on a cotton plant (or something equally poor). Out comes the FAK and my Israeli Field Dressings. We had to bandage his ankle up, and then hobble down the way we had come from for 3 HOURS!!! Poor lad has done his ligaments in :D Now, all this pride thing meant he wasn't going to call out the local MRT (UWFRA) which could have made it worse, but we'll never know. As we headed down however, his pride was shattered. His pride was screwed up, swallowed, and farted out into the atmosphere. Upon gaining a small audience (one poor older lady) he told her to be careful and not hurt herself. This is where she exclaimed that she thought I was a kind person taking his disabled mate out for the day. So I bring you, Disabled Dave
I have told him the piss taking will be relentless. He can only redeem himself by getting up to match fitness soon and getting out there with me again!

No comments:

Post a Comment