09/04/2013

First time as a 'Johnnie'

So tonight was my first time as an Event First Aider with St John Ambulance.

The venue: Valley Parade
The match: Bradford City vs Bristol Rovers

I guess people will be thinking I chose it so I can get a free ticket to the match, which actually can't be any further from the truth.
In all honesty, I have no interest in football in the slightest, and I personally think that a vast majority of fans are druken louts and people out looking for a fight.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that there are also a high number of families and 'normal' people etc that attend matches, but that's just my view.

So why did I choose this over Bradford Bulls (my prefered ball sport)?
Well the answer is simple. First and foremost so I can concentrate on St John duties. Despite being a volunteer, I am employed by them on this duty to provide First Aid cover, and I shall do so to the best if my [little] ability.  Secondly, I knew it was going to be a good place to learn.

So, was I scared? Well not scared, more anxious. I've always been a pretty private person so being around groups I don't know isn't too high on my list of things to do on a Tuesday evening. I guess being in a high vis jacket in the middle of 10,600 people is a good way to learn how to deal with strange people though?

I got there at 17:30, as instructed, and met up with Claudia (My units assistant leader) She took me down to a room where there were a few other First Aiders waiting. People kept turning up, includig the Paramedics etc. I stood back letting people get on with what they were doing. No point getting in the way now is there?

At approximately 19:00 one of the lads gave me a quick guided tour of the place. When we went in the pre match briefing was going on.
Everybody was being told their posts wtc, I was to be in the First Aid post, the room we were in.

Everybody went out to their posts for the start if the match, I stayed listening to the radios.

NOTHING happened all bloody night!
One of the players got stretchered off (I think his nail polish chipped haha) and I saved a disabled mans life by giving a steward a blanket for the guys legs. (Ok, so he wouldn't have died, bit he might have got bloody cold!)

Teams came in and out for their breaks. Amanda, who was the First Aider at my post, kept the brews coming to warm the teams up (and what a mighty fine brew she makes) and the night went without a hitch.

So was there any need to be anxious? Not really. I stayed out of the way and let people het on with what they had to do. When they had a gap in proceedings they made the effort to chat, which was nice.

The Duty Organiser (Mark) was very helpful, and said he'll get me out and about next week, so I'm looking forward to that. Im also looking forward to going on more duties too.

Oh aye, the match. Although I'm no fan of football, it was quite interesting seeing twenty odd pretty boys playing keepy uppy on a big, well lit field. Occasionally they lost their ball in the back of this big net thingy. The crowd seemed to like it though, cos they always cheered when it went in.

Bradford City 5 - Bristol Rovers 1

No comments:

Post a Comment